Thursday, December 04, 2008

Today is National Cookie Day~ Let's Celebrate!!!

Did you know that this tasty holiday occurs every year on December 4th? And Just in time for Christmas no less.

Here is a little history for you on this sweet dessert treat we all know and love.

The English word "Cookie" is derived from the Dutch word "Koekje" which means little cake. Bakers use to place a small amount of cake batter into the oven to test the temperature before baking the final cake. They soon discovered that these little bits of cooked batter were quite tasty on their own, and so the cookie was born.


There are many types of cookies that will tempt every taste bud in the world. There are drop cookies such as chocolate chip, oatmeal, and such. Cut out cookies like sugar cookies and gingerbread, and even press cookies called Spritz cookies. Personally, I have never met a cookie I did not love!


So to celebrate the sweetest of holidays I have included a recipe for you to try and even share with your friends this season. So make a batch or two, invite over those near and dear to you and celebrate Life, Love and COOKIES!!!!!

Snoozer Cookies ( Because they are so easy)

1 box butter cake mix
stick of margarine (not butter this time)
1 egg
1 tsp. Lemon flavor

Combine all ingredients into mixer and blend until dough is formed. Shape into 1" balls, place on cookie sheet and use your thumb to press into center. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on pan 1 minute. Using a cookie spatula, move them to a cooling rack.

Glaze

4 cups of confectioner sugar
4-6 Tablespoons of Lemon juice or milk
Food color if desired

Mix until you have a medium-thickness. Spoon glaze over cookies and allow to dry completely.
Enjoy!!!!

11 comments:

  1. I use to bake all kinds of cookies all at this time of year when my kids were little. Delicious.
    Send me an email at raquelroysdon@yahoo.com so I can send you an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I knew the Dutch word..LOL but I had no idea??? Really Cookie DAY?

    I support this 100% LOL xo

    (glad you are back kiddo xo)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I celebrated with a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie!! Yummy
    It was my honor!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cookie Lady!

    Glad to see you back..I must say I truly enjoy coming to your blog. MMM those cookies sure do look good! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dear beautiful friend,
    Thanks for sharing this sweet cookie recipe! yummy!! Love your blogs! Everything here are super sweet!! Love it!

    Thanks for the lovely comment on my other blogs site :) I really appreciated!

    Hugs,
    Kelly
    Sweetieroom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe I missed Official Cookie Day!!!
    Guess I will have to make up for it, posthaste, by eating all the cookies I should have been imbibing everyday since that holiday!
    Enjoyed this post and getting to know you better. Thanks for your visit and comment on Zany Life.
    Your tree is beautiful! Wondering: are there any cookies on it?
    Love,
    Jlo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your visit and the nice comment you left.
    Cookies make my heart sing! Thanks for the recipe!

    beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got something in the mail today..it is going under the tree...oh my hope I can wait!!
    Thank you so much...Merry Christmas to you & your family!
    xo love ya!!
    Keep an eye on your mailbox..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. hello baby cakes! lol...
    so, what ya got cooking over here?
    tell Brian ...Mr. T said high 5 on the grilled cheese recipe LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cookies look yummy. Will try out your recipe. Happy New Year's!

    ReplyDelete

Another Grease Burned Bacon Fryer Comments